Step 4: Supervised Riding - $350
10% of all lessons and services will automatically go to your Green Hat Dollars account, which you can use for purchasing gear.
Supervised practice for people who are already up and riding.
Goal: To be able to ride independently
Time: All our services are FULL DAY activities (usually over 5 hours and sometimes as much as 8 hour on the water) - we start when the wind starts in the morning or early afternoon and we finish when the wind ends or the sun starts setting. On most days, we have plenty of time to complete the lesson goal; however, sometimes due to poor weather conditions or other issues, we have to call it quits early. For this reason only, we provide a guaranteed time for each lesson. If, for any reason, we are not able to spend this guaranteed time with you, we will refund or issue credit for the difference.
Guaranteed Time: 3 hours
Wind requirement: >12 knots, <30knots
- Ability to comfortably and safely:
- Control a large inflatable kite on land with one hand
- Launch and land large kites with assistant
- Walk upwind while flying a kite and carrying a board
- Body drag downwind and upwind
- Water re-launch a kite and self-rescue
- Ability to perform a water start (get up on a board) and ride for at least 30 seconds without falling down
- Good theoretical understanding of the following topics:
- Proper kiteboarding location and conditions
- Kiteboarding equipment and terminology
Green Hat Kiteboarding reserves the right to cancel the lesson without refunds or change the lesson plan and goal, if these prerequisites are clearly not met.
- Transportation to the Kite Island
- All day kiteboarding under supervision as long as the wind is blowing (minimum 3 hours guaranteed)
- Radio helmets for one way, instructor to student communication (new this season)
- Rescues and help in case of emergencies
- Tips and pointers
- Instructors will be available only for limited tips and emergencies
- Gear is NOT included
- Gear rental (choice of kite - $70, board - $30, and harness - free).
- Private lessons (1 or 2 hours - $100 per hour)
What to bring:
- Your gear (unless renting gear from us)
- Booties (surf/windsurf/kite style preferred over hard sole scuba style - but either is fine)
- Lunch and plenty of water
- April, May, October: Full wetsuit (in April, May and October at least a 4/3 mm thick wetsuit may be needed); hood and gloves are recommended in April and October.
- May, June, September: 3/2 wetsuit or a shorty
- July and August: Bug repellent, preferably waterproof.
In case of unfavorable weather condition and or insufficient wind for at least 3 hours, you will receive a credit for the portion of the lesson that day. This credit can be used towards the purchase of equipment or lessons.
*We highly recommend Progression: Beginner DVD for these topics; however, this knowledge could be acquired from different sources (other videos, lessons, internet, etc.)
Please allow extra time to spend on the island and be free of any commitments for the remainder of the day until at least 7 pm as wind may not immediately cooperate.