Step 3: Board Skills - $550
Description: Learn to get up and stay up on the board
Goal: To make a successful waterstart and ride
Time: All our services are FULL DAY activities (usually over 5 hours and sometimes as much as 8 hour on the water) - we start when the wind starts in the morning or early afternoon and we finish when the wind ends or the sun starts setting. On most days, we have plenty of time to complete the lesson goal; however, sometimes due to poor weather conditions or other issues, we have to call it quits early. For this reason only, we provide a guaranteed time for each lesson. If, for any reason, we are not able to spend this guaranteed time with you, we will refund or issue credit for the difference.
Guaranteed Time: 1.5 hour of private time with instructor + supervised riding for the rest of the day (minimum 2 hours are guaranteed, but usually a lot more)
Students per instructor: 2 (price per person)
Wind requirement: >10 knots, <25 knots
Prerequisites * (see Kite Skills):
- Ability to comfortably and safely:
- Control a large inflatable kite on land with one hand
- Launch and land large kites with assistant
- Walk upwind while flying a kite and carrying a board
- Body drag downwind and upwind
- Water re-launch a kite
- Good theoretical understanding of the following topics:
- Proper kiteboarding location and conditions
- Kiteboarding equipment and terminology
* Green Hat Kiteboarding reserves the right to cancel the lesson without refunds or change the lesson plan and goal, if these prerequisites are clearly not met.
- Radio helmets for one way, instructor to student communication (new this season)
- An instructor will test and review the above topics with you
- Self-rescue demonstration
- Practice water start (getting up and staying up on the board)
- All gear (Kite, board, harness) is included in this lesson
What to bring:
- Booties (surf/windsurf/kite style preferred over hard sole scuba style - but either is fine)
- Lunch and plenty of water
- April, May, October: Full wetsuit (in April, May and October at least a 4/3 mm thick wetsuit may be needed); hood and gloves are recommended in April and October.
- May, June, September: 3/2 wetsuit or a shorty
- July and August: Bug repellent, preferably waterproof.
In case of unfavorable weather condition and or insufficient wind for at least 3 (1 on 1) or 5 (2 on 1) hours, you will receive a 1 year credit for the portion of the lesson that day that can be used towards the purchase of equipment or lessons. In case of no wind at all, you have an option to receive a full refund.
Please allow extra time to spend on the island and be free of any commitments for the remainder of the day until as wind may not immediately cooperate.
For cancellations and other information, please visit our FAQs page.